Health and safety

Udostępnij strone

If you have national health insurance in your country you are most likely covered for medical treatment. Keep in mind that if you want to use the health insurance you need to have the E 111 form or European Health Insurance Card from your country of origin, properly confirmed. A person entitled to health care under European Union rules during a temporary stay in Poland can receive health services in the following areas:

  • primary health care
  • specialist outpatient care
  • hospital treatment
  • dental treatment
  • rescue services
  • ambulance transport

If medical care is required, a student from a member country staying temporarily in Poland is entitled to free health care on the basis of form E 111 issued in his/her country, the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), or in particular cases on the basis of a special certificate. The student is obliged to present one of these documents (it is advisable to also have a copy) together with an identity document directly to the health care provider.

Students will receive free health services from health care providers who have signed an appropriate contract with the National Health Fund (NFZ). Without these documents, patients are obliged to cover the costs of their treatment. In case of sudden illness, accident, injury, poisoning, lifethreatening conditions, patients receive required medical services without referral. If hospital treatment is needed, a doctor’s referral is required. Patients who present a form E 111, a European Health Insurance Card or an appropriate certificate receive free hospital treatment within the general health care system.

Besides the academic and public medical care systems, Poland also has a well-developed private health services sector. The costs of private health care may be reimbursed under a health insurance policy (purchased in the student’s country before departure).

Where to go in case of illness?

  • Warsaw University Clinic 
    (general physicians, specialists, dentists) 
    Ul. Krakowskie Przedmieście 24/26
    Tel.: 022 826 75 07, 022 62003 81 ext. 365
    open Mon.-Fri.: 7:20am – 8pm
    ul. Zwirki i Wigury 95/97
    (general physicians, specialists, dentists)
    Tel.: 022 822 91 81
    open Mon. Thu., Fri.: 7am-3pm; Wed. 12pm-6pm
  • Warsaw Polytechnics Clinic
    (general physicians, specialists, dentists, X-rays, analysis, physical therapy) 
    Ul. Waryńskiego 10a
    Tel.: 022 660 53 25, 022 825 51 07
    open Mon.-Fri. 8am-6pm
    ul. Narbutta 85
    (general physicians, dentists)
    Tel.: 022 6608427
    open Mon.-Fri 7:30am-3pm

For private health services see:

For non-EU/EEA citizens:

Students from non-EU/EEA countries should purchase health insurance in their home country before departure. For ISIC or Euro26 holders, insurance is included in the card and the student does not need to buy another one unless he/she wants to increase its scope or value. Erasmus students holding student IDs (polish legitymacja studencka) issued by the host university are usually allowed to consult doctors at academic medical care centres. In principle, according to health regulations, non-EU/EEA foreigners have to pay for medical consultations. The cost is then reimbursed by the health insurance company.


Send me your newsletter (you can unsubscribe at any time).